Friday, April 14, 2006

Ms. Crystal's Dixie Cup Greenhouse


Two weeks ago, I had the kids plant grass seeds in Dixie cups to grow and take home. At the end of the first week, there were no signs of sprouting in any of the over 70 cups. Meanwhile, the kids asked every time they saw me: "Ms. Crystal, have our flowers sprouted yet?" (I don't think they really grasped the concept that grass seeds don't grow into flowers).

So, last Saturday, in desperation, I planted (by hand) birdseed in all of the cups, hoping that it would sprout.
On Monday, I noticed that the grass was sprouting. By Thursday, it was getting tall, and the sunflower seeds were sprouting as well. I have to water over 70 Dixie cups every day now. I feel like I'm running a greenhouse out of my classroom.

1 comment:

none. said...

Sounds like Ms. Crystal is having lots of fun. Maybe the bird seed will sprout into flowers... did you use sunflower bird seed or millet bird seed?

I love reading your posts, they make me smile (and giggle).