Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thoughts on TAing

This was my first year serving as a TA (teaching assistant). As a TA, I led discussion sections, reviewed material from the lectures, graded papers and exams, and answered student questions.

It's very different from teaching environmental education to little kids. However, I enjoy being able to lead "grown up" discussions. I could only talk about how Mr. Tree needs sunlight to grow and Mr. Deer needs leaves to eat for so long before Ms. Crystal began to need to talk to someone who exceeded the height of Mr. Knee and could carry on an actual conversation.

Here are some of my general conclusions on teaching college students:
  1. Giving out grades is not as heinous as being graded oneself, but it is close.
  2. College students actually have about the same attention spans as three-year-olds. They just try harder at faking attentiveness.
  3. College students are better than three-year-olds at figuring out when I don't know what I'm talking about.
  4. Three-year-olds are more motivated to be "good" than college students. It's just that the three-year-olds lack the self control to follow the rules. College students have the control, but lack the motivation.
  5. Text messaging is the devil's invention.
  6. Students who fall asleep in class do not enjoy having erasers thrown at them, but it makes class much more enjoyable for me.

I leave you with a few excerpts from one of the papers on cloning that I graded at the end of the semester. The student who wrote it appeared to be generally intelligent, and participated in discussions. I really don't know what happened with this paper. I'm not sure if the student was awake while writing. My suspicion is that she wasn't. Here are a few choice passages:

"Just because a parent has the thought of a potential life saving bonus coming from cloning doesn't shy away from deeper feeling of desire to have that clone."

"Cloning could have potential peril effects"

I love the lack of punctuation here:

"Human dignity is the underlying subject that is trying to be protected by this objection and it is saying that we should treat them in ways that they themselves on reflection and deliberation would believe to be good and cloning is a possible downfall of violating their human dignity and subjecting clones to being used on instrumentally."

And my very favorite:

"No one wants to be used, or be a pon, or be the escape goat for anyone else, so this objection for cloning violating human dignity appears to be a solid argument."

2 comments:

Robert Ludlow said...

Some thoughts: (this comment, though located on this post, applies to all posts after "winter wanderings")

Oh my grammar! Perhaps a catastrophic collapse of our young Miss's English precluded rational thought?

I like the new site-design/color choices. The header is a great shot, and you look very beautiful in motion like that (in all of the pictures as well). I like the hair flying. The grayscale with that blue works well too.

I might be a pon...

I think I myself had explicitly told you that I liked you, but that did not immediately evoke a positive response. Perhaps, then, this desire is not the best? Or maybe it would work better with better men than I. heh.

It has been some time since I've spoken this much at you, girly.

Today I had the interesting experience of trying to explain to a coworker - in Spanish- the difference between "we" and "us." This, while being unaware of the proper trnslatin for the subject and object of a sentence. Also, she didn't at first seem to quite believe me that Nosotros is divided up in English to we and us.

Also, while saying a lady is a "fox" in English is a compliment, to do the same in Spanish is to say that she is either a prostitute or a slut. (we were trying to decide which coworkers were what kind of animal (in Spanish)and I was saying that this one other girl was a fox because she is quiet and sneaky. Then I was edified by a giggling Maria as to what I'd just said.) Furthermore, I am apparently a bear.

crystal said...

I'm glad you like the new blog design. :-)

Yes, I think I remember that you explicitly did tell me once, and I'm sorry I didn't reciprocate. I often don't understand why I do/don't feel the spark of romantic attraction in certain cases. Wouldn't it be nice if such things were easy to control?

I think being a bear suits you, though I think more raccoon - because of the mischievous spirit.

How have you been, by the way?